


I don't know if it's the fact that I lost my gram to cancer recently and am now evaluating things, but nevertheless, when you're watching someone in a hospital bed dying and telling your family to call their friends to let them know, you start to think, if I was the one in that bed, in that situation, who would I be calling?
It's really something to think about, and over the week I was in the hospital watching my gram, I started thinking about all of the friends I would want to be called, and to know if I was in that situation. But the thing is, some of the people that I seem "closest" to did not come to mind. And that's sad to me. Sometimes I get worried or sad when I think about the mere fact that just because you've been friends with someone this year, they may not be close to you next year. You may stop talking for whatever reason, you may forget to call them back for a few months, or you may just lose interest. I wish this wasn't so, but life seems to make it that way. But honestly, life is too short to let the wonderful people you have just lose touch or forget about.
I have 4 wonderful friends in Louisville who I know I could call at 2 in the morning for whatever reason and they would geniunely be there. Sara, Melissa, Beth, and Marci are irreplaceble people and even if I don't see them for a year, we pick back up where we left off. And I really think that's a God-thing. Especially in the theatre world, I get close to people I do shows with for a brief time and then bam, they aren't around anymore, and I have to adapt to a whole new cast. That's when you know someone is a friend though I think. When you don't see them or talk to them in months and then you pick right back up where you left off. I was reminded of that this break. And while almost nothing went right, I did have a daily reminder that some people are in your life for a brief time, and others are there for a purpose, for years and years. And while I adore my friends at NKU (I really do and none of this is directed at them by any means) and in the shows I've been in, my friends back home have a very special place in my heart. There's no backstabbing, no accusations, no negativeness. Just encouraging words and non-judgemental love. And that's something we all need.
Many the miles,
meg ;)

No comments:
Post a Comment